For the most part the concepts and topics are up-to-date. However, most of the scientific articles cited are more than 10 years old, being the most recent article from 2015. The section dedicated to gene therapy is very short and there's no specific mention to CRISPR. The book is easily adaptable.
The text feels very modular. As mentioned, there are not long blocks of text that most units and chapters are divided into short, directly linkable chunks. My current use of this textbook has only portions of the text assigned, and this does not seem to be an issue for students.
The organization of the text makes it easy to assign very specific chapters and subsections according to the goals of the course, and to read these sections out of order. The sections, though integrated, can, in many cases stand alone as an introduction to the topics. When more depth is required, other web sites and tutorials can be added to the students' reading materials. This text is a nice way to help students organize those core ideas, all in one place.
This text book has taken modularity to new heights. Each section is very short. It will be interesting to try to adapt these sections to a lecture format. It should work very well with logical breaks for interactive materials or group work.
Another somewhat serendipitous set of trials has also been conducted for low-dose aspirin. These trials, of at least 4 years of aspirin or control use, were originally designed to look at its impact on cardiovascular disease, and only short term follow up, typically for less than 5 years, was reported for this. However, Peter Rothwell and colleagues  resurrected these 8 trials, involving 25,570 patients, and obtained information on deaths and cancers for up to 20 years of follow up, which led to the discovery of important benefits for cancer prevention, primarily for colorectal, stomach and oesophageal cancers. Curiously, very little effect on cancer was seen in the first 5 years of follow up, but large effects were seen subsequently (Fig. 2), leading to an ~20% reduction in cancer deaths overall, a 34% reduction in the post 5-year-period for all cancer deaths, and a 54% reduction in gastrointestinal cancers, which was still diverging after 20 years of follow up. The role of long-term follow up was vital in discovering this pronounced preventive activity. The clearest evidence was for a reduction in colorectal cancer, but gastric and oesophageal cancer were also substantially reduced. These results have now been validated in several non-randomised epidemiologic studies [49, 50], and are summarised in Table 1 . A current challenge for understanding the role of aspirin for cancer prevention comes from the results of two recent reports on studies with short follow up [52, 53]. Given what was known from cardiovascular studies, it should have been anticipated that no benefit would be seen in the first 5 years, and only the side-effects would be apparent. This is what has happened, and has been misinterpreted by many to conclude that aspirin has no effect on cancer when, in fact, no useful efficacy information has yet to be obtained from these studies . 2b1af7f3a8